Wednesday, December 14, 2011

FLASH in the pan


Those who read thise blog and have met me professionally know that for about 3 years now I have been advising against FLASH as a solution for DTV graphics. There were two major reasons, performance and business related.

Now the discussion is moot.

Adobe have announced they are dropping support for FLASH on mobile devices. More than this, Adobe, I'm absolutely sure, will now drop support for STBs and TVs.

So now a third reason ,as a technology direction, its simply not strategic anymore. FLASH is, and as far as I am concerned, always was a dead end for graphics on STBs and DTVs. Only now I am not the only one saying it - Adobe is too.

However, one company that continues to impress me and is certainly a solution for those who must have FLASH for the next few years is Animated Media Inc.



AMI is run by Chris Brady who has been in embedded graphics as long as there were embedded graphics. He has some very impressive demos of his FLASH technology, including iphone FLASH.


No comments:

Post a Comment